We pledge to honor the entire life cycle of materials to minimize environmental impacts and conserve natural resources.
We believe we can be a zero waste NW. We can reduce the demand for new materials and the related harvesting or extraction of natural resources. We can promote waste reduction strategies through source reduction, efficient resource use, sustainable sourcing, recycling, upcycling, composting, and recovery.
1. Commit to making your business zero waste.
2. Implement environmentally-intelligent policies and operations, including a sustainable solid waste management policy, recycling programs, and food waste operations (reduce, donate, compost). See here for guidance on how to get started.
3. Reduce or eliminate single-use traditional plastics and water bottles.
4. Mitigate, reduce, and/or eliminate unnecessary packaging from goods and services purchased and sold.
5. Ensure environmentally responsible practices for electronics use and recycling.
6. Advance upcycling and closed-loop systems approach in supply chain and material sourcing.
7. Engage your community and visitors. Ask your community members, fans, and visitors to join you in these efforts.
8. Tell your story. Make it public: use social media, use signage, make a video, etc.
9. Advocate for policy change and infrastructure. One of the major barriers to progress on the path to zero waste is the lack of infrastructure and policy.
1. Commit to a zero waste NW. Choose your Next 5 actions for zero waste here.
2. Take action where you live or learn:
mitigate food waste by reducing, donating, and composting.
reduce/eliminate single-use traditional plastics and water bottles.
ensure environmentally responsible re-use and recycling for electronics.
mitigate, reduce, and/or eliminate unnecessary packaging from goods and services purchased.
3. Find ways to reduce, reuse, and upcycle all materials and consumables.
4. Take action where you work or learn. Ask your school or business to commit to a zero waste NW.
5. Promote a zero waste NW by using social media or other forms of communication to show that you are supporting zero waste.
6. Advocate for policy change and infrastructure needed to make zero waste a reality.
If you are a business or individual who wants to make a commitment to zero waste, we can help.